2008년 3월 18일 화요일

Doksu gong Palace

Nearing the end of my stay in Korea, I started visiting lots of places that I wanted to see before I left. There a few old palaces to visit. I went to two of them. The first one I went to was Doksugong Palace.

I went with 3 other people and we saw the royal changing of the guards. They do this every weekday. It's pretty interesting.



One thing I thought was funny that I had to snap a picture of was - when the guards were marching to the front gate of the palace... they had to march past a Dunkin Donuts. :) hahaha - it provided such a contrast between this ancient reenactment and a modern donut shop.



Traditional Korean buildings are pretty cool.



And it was also cool to look down and see the traditional buildings, then to look up and contrast that with the huge modern skyscrapers in the not-too-distant background.



These are the friends I went with! :) I miss them already



They took me outside the palace where we walked around the wall and they told me that in Korea, it's bad luck for couples to walk along this wall. It means they will break up. So I quickly snapped a picture of some people in front of me that I think were couples, in prediction of their coming break-ups.



The reason it's bad luck is because there used to be a divorce court somewhere down this outer wall - so couples walking together were usually walking to the divorce court. As we were walking... I spotted one of the Royal Guards! I caught him in normal clothes!



Anyway, we had a great time.

댓글 없음: