2008년 7월 25일 금요일

Back in Seoul, South Korea

Well after about 4 months of being away from South Korea, I'm back. This time I'm in Seoul, the capital, working at YBM Premier in Jongno 2(i)-ga, teaching adults. Of course I miss the little kids, but I enjoy teaching adults much more, and also I'm more qualified to teach adults. When I went to UIUC, I got a degree in English Rhetoric, Professional Writing, but I also wanted to get a minor in Teaching English as a Second Language. After taking all but 2 classes for my minor, it came time to graduate and I didn't want to spend all the extra money to stay another semester so I stopped.

Anyway, my current job isn't easy, but I do really enjoy it. I love Korea, and I love working here. I love the Korean people. I'll get more into WHY another time. That's definitely a different post.

The area I live in, in Seoul, is Donam-Dong, in the area of Sungshin Women's University - which is on blue subway line 4 a little in the north end of Seoul. The area is great. There aren't many foreigners. It's mostly Korean families or University students. Actually, Seoul has lots of Universities and there are 2 that are about 10 minutes walking from my apartment. It's a nice area.

I take a bus to work every day, and it's about a 12 minute ride one way. On Sundays I take a bus to Dobong for church. One of my friends in Korea plays piano for the English service (which is how I found out about the church). So I went once and really liked it. Now I go all the time. It's called the Salt and Light church. Although I don't associate myself with any particular denomination of Christianity, the church I'm attending in South Korea is Presbityrian. It's similar to the Korean Church I attended for 3 years while at UIUC in the States. The bus ride to church is about 45 minutes one way... but it goes almost to the northern most part of Seoul, which is near some mountains that I love (Dobong San, Dobong Mountain). It's beautiful.

My contract with YBM is for 1 year. It will be finished starting July 1st, 2009. Right now, I'm very interested in staying in Korea and working longer than 1 year... but of course I'm not set on this. I'll decide when the time gets closer.

That's about it for now!

Here's a picture of Dobong Mountain, taken right after I get off the bus in Dobong on my way to Church!


댓글 1개:

익명 :

This is Alex. :) I'm glad that we have something to communicate although we are not in same class. Chloe, Nina, Jiyoung are very sad kk :D I also have a blog. Come and see and post a comment :)