2009년 1월 27일 화요일

Don't confuse China or Japan with Korea

Most people I know... know I'm in East Asia. Most know I'm in Korea. Most know where Korea is.

Few know much more than that.

So let me give you a few basics. The East Asian countries are similar in the same way that USA and Great Britain and France and Australia are similar. You can group them... East and West, in many ways. But don't let that trick or confuse you into thinking there aren't many differences.

There are PLENTY of differences, not the least of them being different languages. I won't talk about languages right now. In fact, in another post, I'll give you a snippet of the Korean Language. And in another post, I'll give you a snippet of Korean history.

Right now, I just want to say: Don't be confused into thinking that Korea is much the same as China... or that it's much the same as Japan. It's not. I don't see it that way, and neither do the Korean people here.

Many East Asian countries celebrate a "new year" according to a lunar calendar. Because of America's economic courtship with China, and because of the frequency at which anything about China appear sin the US news media - many refer to this as "Chinese New Year". However, I'm not in China. I'm in Korea, and in Korea, they don't celebrate the Chinese New Year. They celebrate the Lunar New Year, which I believe is more politically correct terminology, seeing as how China doesn't own any rights to the celebration. :)

In any case, language matters. How you say something can be just as, if not more, important as WHAT you say.

Also, there is some disputing here about what is and isn't Sushi. LOL. I spent too much time talking about this. It was really annoying. ;)

댓글 없음: